Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Recipe: Salsa Chicken

So I heard lots of talk on the WW boards about something called Salsa Chicken and I thought I would give it a try. I love love love anything that goes in the Crock pot and even more than that I love love love Mexican food. So, I decided to try it out and do my first ever recipe blog!! This was so amazingly good and even easier to make! (Also, it is so fun to photograph while cooking!!)

Step 1: Assemble your ingredients! (I doubled the recipe because I always freeze leftovers for later. Cooking in bulk is always easier for me in the long run!) (I made some changes to the actual recipe I got from the boards because as you can see, I only had half a jar of salsa and I used a massive amount of chicken.)
  • 2 lbs of FROZEN chicken breast (4 breasts)
  • Can of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • Can of green chilies
  • Can of diced tomatoes
  • Jarred salsa
  • Cumin, to taste (not pictured)
  • Frozen corn, half a large bag (not pictured)

Step 2: Throw all the ingredients in the pot! (Yes, the chicken is supposed to be frozen! Trust me on this one!)


Step 3: Turn the pot on 'Low' and go away.

Step 4: Come back 8 - 10 hours later. (I walked into my house and was knocked over by how great my house smelled!!)



Step 5: Shred the hell out of the chicken. This was a little tricky but really you just grab two forks and go to town. The meat is really tender so it shreds really well.




Step 6: Throw it in a tortilla with your choice of fixings and enjoy! (I used RF shredded Mexican cheese and FF sour cream, but if I had any sliced avocado that would have been amazing!)




This recipe made 8 servings of three large tacos. I put a large amount in my freezer which I am super excited about! I put them into packages of two servings each for the man and I to enjoy later. (Speaking of the man, he LOVED this dinner!!)


How awesome is my freezer?? Let me tell you, it is money well spent! I bought it off Craigslist 3 years ago for $50. We keep it in the garage and I go into it daily. I could dedicate an entire blog post about how I organize my freezer and pantry. I have it down to a science, almost to the point of crazy-pants-super-OCD but not quite!

I hope you try this recipe and love it as much as I do!!

1 comment:

  1. OMG...looking at that final picture made me extremely hungry for that. If the hubby isn't making tacos tonight for dinner we'll be having that tomorrow for sure! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete