Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Shamrock Run 2011 Recap

As those of you who follow me on either Twitter or Facebook know already, I participated in Portland's Shamrock run on Sunday with KT.

I had originally planned on doing the Shamrock in 2010 but unfortunately my father-in-law passed away the day before the race so running a 5k wasn't really a priority.  I had intended for it to be my first 5k experience, but since I missed it the Starlight Run in May of 2010 ended up being my first.  And I hated it.  I walked most of it with a time around 45 minutes.  I hadn't done a 5k since due to that dismal failure. 

With KT now totally rocking the WW program and working on being more active, I invited her to join me for the 5k since it was a run/walk.  She immediately jumped on the idea and I signed us both up.  I trained semi-hard for the run up until 2 weeks before when I got sick and school started to get overwhelming.  I finally got on the treadmill and went for a pre-race run 2 days before and was slow as hell.  I just resigned myself to walking most of the race and dealing with it later. 

I stayed up until about midnight working on a homework assignment, then crawled into bed where I stared at the ceiling until 2, which immediately turned to 3.  (Ever stayed up to watch Daylight Savings Time happen?  Yea, not as fun as New Years.)  My alarm went off at 6, so with 3 hours of sleep under my belt I grabbed a banana and a plastic spoon full of peanut butter and headed out the door.  (Note:  My last few events, I forgot to eat first.  Big mistake.  I remembered this time...but forgot to mention it to KT as something she needed to do.)

Took some pre-race photos before I left of my awesome outfit too.

I have decided that striped knee socks are my new signature race attire.  I wore them on the Starlight Run, and on the Muddy Buddy, so third time makes it an official tradition!  I have every intention of getting a new pair for each of my future races!

KT and I made plans to meet at a Max station halfway between our houses (since we live 50 miles from each other) and rode into downtown Portland together.

(Right about here is where I would insert a picture of KT that I took at the Max station, but the bitch deleted it without my knowing.  Don't worry, she will pay for her insolence.  With a black eye.)

After a 30 minute ride on the max we walked the short distance to Waterfront Park where the race was starting from.  I had chugged a good amount of water in the car, so I had to hit the Port o'potty pretty bad.  This is where tragedy struck for KT.  She HATES Port o'pottys with a vengeance.  Seriously, it was a big deal for her to have to use one.  The "dirty air" just about killed her and she has sworn off public urination for life. 

We stood and watched the 15k racers start, then I handed her my 'nerd bag' to carry, shoved my phone in my bra, and went off on my own to get into the "Slow-ass Runners" like also known as the "10+ min mile" group.  I stretched while I waited for my turn in the sea of 32,000 other racers in the cold rain. 

(Please excuse the quality of the pictures as KT had the camera and is obviously too pretty to understand how to use the 'anti-shake' function.  All of these pictures are from her walking the same race route that I was running with a half hour head start.)
The first mile was a little tough and I took a few quick breaks to walk.  After the 2nd of 3 signs advertising mile 2, I saw a big hill on the horizon and decided to walk up that. 
I went right back to running the downhills and started to get into a really good pace.  Chugged a cup of water at one of the water stations, which I shouldn't have done.  I never drink while running.

I think KT has the hots for this guy...
KT's feet as she walks.  Not sure if she meant to take this or not...
Walkway at the PSU Campus.

The best picture of the Finish Line that KT took.  I am signing her up for Photography classes.
 I started to pass more and more people and I was loving that feeling.  And then in the distance at the bottom of a small hill, was the finish line!  I immediately burst into tears and started running as fast as my body would go.  I told myself I wouldn't stop until I crossed and I didn't.  Stepped over the finish line, stopped moving, turned my head to cough and....
...tossed the water I had just drank.  I choked back most of it as I was in a crowd of people and I didn't want to embarrass myself.  I don't know if anyone saw, and I only semi-care if they did.  I pushed myself to the limit, worked hard, and yakked in public.  Nothing wrong with that. 
I pushed through the crowd and grabbed an armload of waters and headed back to the finish line to wait for KT to cross. 
I ran into an old customer from the restaurant I used to work at and made him take a picture of me. 
I loved watching all the people cross the finish line.  You could tell who the old pros were and which were the first timers.  Some of them just crossed the line, and checked their stats on their Polar-fancy-pants watches and strolled off.  Others had friends/family/strangers take their picture in various silly poses to mark the occasion.  It was great fun!
Then, I saw KT cross!  She looked so happy!  I am not sure how she felt at this moment but I know I was feeling pretty great FOR her!  Not only was she rocking in my awesome pink 'nerd-bag' she was wearing a size of exercise pants that she chose to brag about on Twitter.  (Hooray for not having an XXL or an XL ass any more!)

We made a random stranger take our picture in front of the Finish Line.  (Which for fun, I put next to a picture of KT and I back in 2008.)

Does any one need more proof that WW works?

We hit a few of the booths for some free samples, thought about standing in the line to get our free beer, but decided against it.  We were soaked.  And cold.  And tired.  So we hauled ass back to the Max to get our cold wet asses into hot showers and get some lunch!

Overall it was an amazing day for both KT and myself!  We totally rocked that 5k!  In fact, we rocked it so much that we are already signed up for 2 more races, with another 7 penciled into the calendar!  (Once a month until December!)

OH, and the BEST part of the event...MY TIME!!!


AND, I made our Leader give us both 5k charms at our meeting on Monday!

And for those of you who made it all the way to the bottom of this post, I have a secret to tell you....shhhh....

My next post will be a GIVEAWAY!!  So stay tuned!!


  1. Oh yay! I'm so glad they brought those 5k charms back! So many members heard about them online and would ask for them.

    Congratulations again to both of you!

    Also, I love the before & after bff pic!

  2. I just found your blog! I love it! That 5K time is awesome. I'm a brand spankin' new runner (and blogger) and I will definitely be followin' you!