Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Tombstone #2: "I'm not built for running!"

I am not built for running! 


This was always my classic excuse for not working out.  I wasn't built for it.  My boobs were too big.  I was a big boned person.  I have shin splints. 

In the course of my weightloss journey the last few years I realized that each and every one of these sentences were not true and were just lies I told myself so I wouldn't have to actually get sweaty. 

Don't get me wrong.  I still hate working out.  I don't like to run and getting all sweaty is still really gross.  However, I get off my ass and I do it.  Granted, it is sporadic and not a consistent or dedicated as it should be, but I still DO IT! 

I bought a treadmill, and I found different ways to get exercise in without having to buy a gym membership.  I got Just Dance for the Wii and the first time I did it I could do two songs in a row before I melted into a pile on  my floor.  (Last night, I did 8 songs and felt like I could have done more.)  I play Wii Fit, and it is so nice to finally not hear that little bastard say "You're Obese!" any more.  I bought a pink Schwinn bike that I take to the grocery store when I need some small ingredients or want to splurge on something I don't keep in the house. 

I have done Portland to Coast 4 years in a row.  I ran most of the Starlight Run in June.  I am doing the Muddy Buddy on Sunday. 

In all my running/walking I have yet to have a bout of shin splints.  I doubled up on sports bras to stop the jiggling (and as I got smaller, there was less to jiggle...a LOT less!).  And it wasn't my bones that were big, it was the thick layer of blubber over my bones that made me look fat!

By making this tombstone, I am not saying that suddenly I will be an exercise freak and that I will live for working out.  Not going to happen!  I still don't like it.  And I don't HAVE to like it, but I do HAVE to do it.  Not every day, but every week. 

This tombstone is more about stopping the lies and excuses for not doing what I know I should.  I would rather be honest. 

So, here's to being honest! 

This was the desktop on my computer for over a year.    

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I really needed to see it. I have also given myself these same excuses. My exercise is also sporadic, but I still do it. I know it will get easier, I just have to do it!
    Also, I love that picture. I may have to make it my desktop.

    ReplyDelete